Olympic Announcers Quotable Moments
Here are "medal winning" comments made by NBC sports commentators during the Summer Olympics that they would probably like to take back:
- Weight-lifting commentator: 'This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.'
- Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'
- Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.'
- Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'
- Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.'
- Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'
- At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.'
- Soccer commentator: 'Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field.'
- Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?'
sent via eMail by my Mom (Hi Mom!) - no idea if they are true or not, but it seems reasonable given the mindless blather that accompanied most of the Olympic commentary.