Olympic Announcers Quotable Moments
Here are "medal winning" comments made by NBC sports commentators during the Summer Olympics that they would probably like to take back:
- Weight-lifting commentator: 'This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.'
- Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'
- Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.'
- Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'
- Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.'
- Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'
- At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.'
- Soccer commentator: 'Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field.'
- Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?'
sent via eMail by my Mom (Hi Mom!) - no idea if they are true or not, but it seems reasonable given the mindless blather that accompanied most of the Olympic commentary.
Best Finish in Years
Well, my First place status in my Rotisserie baseball league didn't last long. But that was expected.
It looks to me like I'll end up in 2nd place. There is limited upside movement for me and limited downside for the team (the hated Hackers) ahead of me. It's not impossible. Wins and Saves are categories where I can gain a couple of points, but my pitching will have to really be great over the last month to get there. ERA and Ratio are also areas for improvement but I'd have to get a 2.25 era and a 1.06 ratio for the month to make up ground.
I won't be unhappy with 2nd place. It's been a long time since I've seen any ROI in baseball. This years transaction fees seem higher than normal, so the payout should be good.
Still, first place would be awesome....
Our Nightmare - On the News
It's good to know that the local news organizations have my blog on their list of news sources. (Actually, it's probably ORBlogs.com, an aggregator of Oregon themed blogs where they probably first picked up the story).
Sara saw the story this morning called Marie a "movie star".
This has never happened before...
...so I have to document it while it is still true.
The SkidMarks (my Roto baseball team) are in First Place!
At least for today.